The COVID-19 pandemic has complicated your ability to build and develop your team of educators: teachers are being recruited and hired remotely; applicants cannot complete exams; NYSED has created special certificates and pathways. Let the Charter Center Teacher Certification Consultation Team help you navigate these complications.
Led by Caryl Cohen, the Charter Center’s Certification Team provides analysis and in-depth technical support to help your school comply with New York State and Federal regulations and your teachers to navigate the pathways to NYS certification.
- Two secure, on-line worksheets per year that provide
- a detailed teacher certification summary for your school’s hiring manager
- an analysis of your school’s certification status to help your school achieve or maintain full compliance
- recommendations to help you support teachers with their certification
- Membership in the Certification/HR online community of practice
- Phone or on-line support for HR directors with teacher certification questions
- Professional development on certification issues for program members such as recent changes in required exams, the complexities that interstate candidates face, new or dual certification in special education and more
- Personal consultations for teachers who need to develop an individualized plan for certification
Contact your school’s HR Director to see if your school is participating, or go to Teacher Certification Consultation and look for your school’s name in the drop-down menu.
Our consultants will provide a preliminary evaluation of your certification pathway and options by email. You can review our recommendations and arrange to get further information or ask questions by email or by phone.
Other resources you may find valuable in the meantime:
- Every teacher seeking any change in certification should have an updated account in TEACH
- Anyone who needs a background check can log into the NYSED site for Fingerprinting
- Teachers seeking certification use service code 14ZGQT or URL on the NYSED website.
- All others who need fingerprinting for employment use 14ZGR7 or the “Employment” URL.
- An overview of the various ways to obtain certification can be found at the NYSED Pathways to Certification
- NYS Certification requirements based on your current education and/or certification is available through a self-serve menu at Certification Requirements
- Simply enter the information about the subject and level of certification you seek and the site will display the requirements for each pathway based on your current credentials.
In response to the financial uncertainty caused by the COVID-19 crisis, the fees for 2020-21 haves been reduced.
The fee for teacher certification services is based on the total number of teachers on your school roster planned for the school year. This number also includes teaching assistants, guidance counselors, school social workers, and school psychologists.